Do you have a growing family? Are you expecting another baby or wondering what it’s like to have a big family?
As a mom of four kids, I have now experienced the gamut of transitions in family size. I’m happy to help you:
- think through the logistics of growing your family,
- find amazing products that will help when you have two or more kids, and
- organize and prepare for the next baby.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning that if you click through and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Deciding to Grow Your Family
It’s a huge decision to add another baby to your family! If you are thinking of having another baby, try filling out this in-depth worksheet. It will help you think through the logistics and cost of adding another baby to the family, as well as what’s in your heart. Taken together, you will hopefully begin to get a clearer sense of whether it’s time to take the plunge and add another member to your family.
Print out the worksheet, and spend some time answering it honestly. You may even want to print two copies: one for you and one for your partner. Make sure you’re both on the same page and identify any areas that you may need to work on before trying for another baby.
To receive the worksheet by email, enter your email address and first name below.
If you are thinking about having a fourth baby in particular, be sure you ask yourself this set of questions first.
Products & Services for Your Growing Family
Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite
You may not need a double stroller if there is a big age difference between your new baby and your next oldest child. However, if you have a toddler or even a preschooler, a double stroller is an excellent investment.
We purchased a Joovy Caboose Ultralight Graphite when we had our fourth baby, and it’s the perfect stroller for us for several reasons. It folds down easily into a compact size. It is very light to push (I can do it with one hand!) and easy to turn and maneuver.
Joovy Caboose Rear Seat
The Joovy Caboose rear seat (sold separately from the stroller) is the perfect addition if the older child using the stroller is less than 3.5 or 4 years old and may spend a significant amount of time sitting.
Baby Wrap or Carrier
When our first baby was born, I felt a sense of freedom once I learned to wear her in my Moby wrap. For all four babies, I used the original Moby wrap, which is essentially a long piece of stretchy fabric I learned to maneuver into a snug, comfy carrier for newborns through infancy.
If I thought it was helpful for my firstborn, it was absolutely essential for my second baby, third baby, and fourth baby. I wore those tiny babies around to chase my toddlers, take care of housework, play outside, go on walks—you name it!
During those first few months, it was great to be able to keep the babies close while also being able to go about my daily life. The Moby is one of many varieties of baby wraps and carriers. I recommend finding one that works for you and wearing your new baby as much as you can.
Other Services and Tools
- Amazon Prime: Whether it’s to keep your older kids entertained with fun and educational shows while you tend to the new baby with Prime Video, listen to a fun Disney playlist with Amazon Music, or have products delivered to your house with Prime or Prime Now, every mom needs an Amazon Prime subscription!
- A good phone case: When you have lots of kids around and there is only one of you, your phone might get into the wrong hands and take a beating. After going through several iPhone screens while using a flimsy silicone case, I finally got this OtterBox Symmetry Case, and (with the help of a screen protector) my iPhone is safe from little hands.
- A diaper backpack: Invest in a good diaper backpack to keep your gear close while keeping your hands free. This is the diaper backpack my fashionable sister has to take care of my sweet niece!
I have put together this comprehensive guide to fourth baby gifts. Even though it is geared toward fourth babies, many of these gift ideas are useful for the third baby or even the second!
Preparing for the New Baby
There are so many things to think about as you prepare for a new baby to join your family. Even though you have been through it once when your first baby was born, your growing family offers a new slew of challenges to tackle and to-do list items to check off.
My second baby checklist covers everything you need to do before your second baby (or third or fourth) comes along.
This list of new baby gifts for siblings is a must-read. I’ve carefully chosen 28 ideas to support the big brother or big sister during your family’s exciting transition.
If you’re thinking about having your fourth baby (or even your third), you’ll want to read my ebook stuffed with wisdom and stories from real-life moms of four.